Saturday, November 13, 2010

Grief Revisited

I'm not sure why things have been so particularly hard for me lately. It feels as if I've stepped back two years - back to the early months after losing Daniel. I find myself crying more frequently, searching the Internet to look for direction and thinking of ways I can turn his loss into something positive. It could be the holidays or possibly the change in season - whatever it is I just have been so down and revisiting many of the feelings I was paralyzed by after losing Daniel.

I'm not who I used to be - in some ways good and in many ways bad. I don't know how to fix myself. I wish I could control my feelings - I'm so angry and my perception of things at times are distorted. When I take a moment to really digest my feelings I think that is when I realize that I still haven't dealt very well with my little boy's death. I still carry a lot of guilt - not just the guilt of not saving him or the guilt of all the things that I "think" I might have done to cause his loss, but the guilt of not loving and honoring him the way I should have for the short time we had him.

I was so damn disconnected from my feelings. I feel much anger because I was never taught how to express my emotions openly. It was only after everything was said and done - after Daniel was buried in his tiny grave that I was able to think about what I wished I had done BUT I couldn't get him back again to do it the right way. I wish someone would have told me and if they did - I tend to be pig-headed - I wish I had listened.

Only a few months after losing Daniel, a young teacher at Sean's school lost her son due to stillbirth. I had the opportunity to talk to her prior to her giving birth and provide what ever guidance I could at the time. I told her everything I had felt during my period of loss and what I had done or wished I had done. As much as she may have felt this was helpful for her - it was some what therapeutic for me. I didn't want someone else to have to carry the same regrets I was carrying. This helped me so much at the time - possibly more than it may have helped her.

I wish I had had someone to talk to immediately following the news of Daniel's death - someone that could understand what I was going through and provide me with guidance. This came later on but too late for me to change any of the things I had already made permanent. I wish I had looked at his little hands and toes, I wish I had held him longer and told him how much I loved him, I wish I had taken more pictures - of him and of us holding him, I wish I had purchased a nice outfit for him to buried in and I wish I had made his funeral open to everyone - he deserved that much.

I could say I wish I could go back in time and change what I did, but I don't want to go back. At times it feels like I'm still there - 2 1/2 years later. I fully comprehend our human inability to go back and change what happens in the past but I still dwell on it. I need to remind myself that we still do, however, have the ability to change the future and I think I need to focus on that more. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but then again I don't think I knew where I was headed the last time - April 23, 2008 - grief picked me up like a huge tidal wave and slammed me down upon its shore.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I was searching through blogs and ran across yours and had to stop to read your story and your heartache. I just recently had a baby girl who was born with down syndrome and a major heart defect and she is going into open heart surgery the first of the year at just 5 months of age. I lived on edge the whole pregnancy, praying that she would just make it so I could see her and hold her once, and now I try to fight away the thoughts about that after Christmas, she might not be here.

I can not imagine your loss and my heart goes out to you and your family. Just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers and thoughts today.

Unknown said...

I am hurting for your loss. Jesus is hurting for you . God never meant dealth to be a part of this life. When Adam & Eve sinned is changed. Jesus came to earth to overcome dealth. You Child is in the Perfect world called Heaven. Jesus will return and REDEEM this lost world. A day with God is like 2000 yrs of our time.
>>____________________________________________________________________
My Grandmother told me This life is
like the > eternity is like the line that starts and never ends. When we read about Jesus we see he hated dealth. Jesus will over come
We only need to trust Him . Cry out to Jesus he will understand and and He has your child safe with Him. We only need to prepare to trust Him and we will see you little Boy in Heaven

piyush said...

sometimes our life shows us many things which we dnt want to see it just that we have to accept those and move forward. i too have faced many things where i have lost many things where it was not even my fault. just wanna say keep smiling and accepts things with open arms that's the real mantra for life